If you can answer “Yes” to all of the 9 statements below, Rethinking your Leadership structure and approach is not a high priority. Turn your attention instead to one or more of the other 5 main Practice Management functions discussed in this part of the website.
- Our leadership and senior management works very well and harmoniously. Our leaders do not micromanage managers, and managers do not micromanage staff.
- We have a current business plan, and we update it at least every 6 months.
- We have a current strategic plan, and we update it at least every 6 months.
- Our strategic planning involves the active participation of all senior staff. We schedule work so that project assignments do not get in the way of strategic planning retreats.
- We have a senior-level plan for coaching and mentoring younger staff, and we make sure that communication works well in both directions. “The boss’s door is always open”.
- We have resource planning values that seek gender balance and equality.
- Our resource planning is effective, and generally provides for on-time meeting of milestones and delivery dates without working long hours as a regular occurrence.
- We have a long-range ownership transition plan – that provides both for moving key staff up to greater levels of responsibility, and for ultimately passing control and ownership to them.
- Senior staff know the details of our ownership transition plan.
If your answer to any of these was “No”, consider working on those “No” items as part of your Rethink.
Return to Practice Knowledge Node page